Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Conquistadors Take the Field

The theme for this year's marching band show is "Conquistadors." Did you ever wonder what goes into the making of our marching band routines? Here is a description from Curtis Gaesser on the making of "Conquistadors":

I try to find pieces that fit together to make a great musical moment, and to flow with tension and release. I spend hours every summer searching for 8 minutes of music that's exciting, challenging, and most of all, music that's pleasing to the ear. The title of this year's show is "Conquistadors." Many Spanish elements make this year's show challenging and exciting. Then once I have chosen the works, I have my friend Kerry Marsh arrange them for me. We collaborate a lot to make sure it's what I want. He truly is a master at arranging. When the music is chosen, I break down the music into counts for the drill writer (Paul). He spends hours using a special program that plots each person and where they go from bar to bar. This is meticulous and a very important element to the entire production. Flag choices, uniforms, props, and so many other factors go into making a great show. Please make sure you come out and support these great kids as we try to produce the best show yet at Folsom High. Curtis